Qualifications for Becoming & Maintaining A3H Membership
- Must own or operate an activity or attractions business such as a helicopter company, museum, aquarium, land tour van company, visitor park, shopping center, ocean recreation business etc., which offers tours or an attraction directly to the public. These businesses are referred to as Activity Providers.
- Members must hold current Hawaii State Business Registration, along with any required licenses and permits.
- Agencies (i.e.: activity desks, resellers, timeshare outlets, hotel concierges, etc…) are not qualified to become a regular member of the organization. If your business is both a Provider and Agency all benefits of membership shall be restricted for use of the Provider business.
- Each member must carry sufficient liability insurance to cover his or her service and product to the public and abide by all state and county laws.
- Each member agrees to supply the Activities & Attractions Association of Hawaii with a certificate of liability insurance and name the A3H as an additional insured.
- Members agree to maintain the highest quality of customer service, safety and product.
- Respond to all visitor complaints within 10 business days.
- Keep all monetary obligations to A3H current.
- Noncompliance with any of the above or if A3H receives three consumer complaints that remain unresolved to the satisfaction of the visitor, membership maybe suspended, cancelled or forfeited without refund of dues.
History / Overview
If you have never read The Battle for Boondoggle, please when you have a spare moment, read it. It is a document that very poignantly depicts the beginnings of our A3H organization.
The Activities & Attractions Association is the result of a 2002 merger between AOA, (Activity Owners Association of Hawaii) and HAA, (Hawaii Attractions Association). AOA was founded in 1990 by a small but very dedicated group of activity providers. Their diligent efforts to unite the activities & attractions industry resulted in a solid statewide association that is currently considered the voice and legislative watchdog for the activities & attractions industry. HAA was founded in 1993 by an elite group of quality Oahu attractions, originally named Oahu Attractions Association. A synergy resulted in both Marketing and Lobbying efforts as the organization has combined into one. In 2000, we harnessed technology and created PonoRez to connect Membership with consumers, each other, and resellers.
The Activities & Attractions Association of Hawaii has nearly 200 members statewide. We work closely with each island’s Visitors Bureau, taking an active role in promoting tourism through state and county agencies and the Chamber of Commerce. From the beginning, the A3H has focused on achieving specific goals relating to consumer protection issues and developing standards of excellence in the activities industry. Additionally, it has been successful in developing a wide range of collective marketing and benefit programs for its members, while lobbying for the industry’s interests.
Click here for an interesting article, Tail Wagging the Dog, regarding the current marketing enviroment. It is written by our executive director, Toni Mari Davis.
Pupukahi i Holomua – United in order to Progress